Article Review: New Adult Meme
There are many great memes out there, but this one stands out to me. There’s a debate on the concept of “New Adult”. It is basically the gap between YA (up to 19) and adult (usually starting around the 30′s). In short, characters in their twenties dealing with stuff people in their twenties deal with—-and maybe some paranormal on the side.
St. Martin’s started supporting this, but of course it’s a bit difficult to just announce a new genre. First, there’s just the matter of spreading the word. Second, for this one in particular, twenty year olds tend to be a bit busy reading textbooks.
I think there’s potential for this genre, though, especially with e-books making it easier to sneak in a few pages here and there, as well as all the renewed interest in books in general lately, thanks to J.K. Rowling and many others.
One thing that does put me off a little with NA is the assumption that it must be based in the real world. But just like teens go through certain stages in their life, so do twenty-somethings. And that can happen in any world, if it’s written properly.
What do you think of “New Adult”?
Thanks for stopping by! Here are some things that might interest you:
1. Sign up for a blog topic a day, designed especially for authors.
2. Win 4 weeks of ad space.
3. Sign up early for an exclusive giveaway.
4. Sign up for debut notification.
5. Want to be on the inside? Join my street team!
6. How about a US$100 international giveaway? Right here!
7. Don't forget! Sign up for the monthly blog newsletter to receive updates about articles, giveaways, and promotion opportunities. Subscribers also receive a list of 35 links every author should know.